Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hong Kong, glorious Hong Kong

I spent a year living in Tokyo, widely acclaimed as one of the world's top gastronomic cities, and spent quite a bit of time eating at some of Tokyo's best restaurants, but I'll tell you a little secret: Tokyo has nothing on Hong Kong. Hong Kong is by far my favorite city to eat, eat and eat some more.

Don't get me wrong - Tokyo has the highest concentration of refined cuisine (especially Japanese, French and Italian) of any city, but honestly - who can eat refined cuisine day in and day out?? You can only eat so many haute French meals and while Japanese food is exquisite, it is also quite...monotonous (spend 3 days eating only Japanese food and I promise you will be begging for a good, greasy burger or a bowl of piping hot pho)

And this is why Hong Kong tops my list of delicious destinations - the sheer number of choices, not only dim sum and wontons and shark's fin, but everything from exquisite French to authentic Thai to Middle Eastern to fresh mozzarella and homemade pasta - Hong Kong has it all, and it's all so delicious. HK reviews to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment