Wednesday, October 28, 2009

And so, it begins

I love good food. I love to blog. So I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to blog about my neverending quest to find (and consume) delicious food anywhere, everywhere. I was going to say the quest to find the perfect meal, but I don't think there is only one perfect meal. It could be a perfectly executed bowl of Vietnamese bun topped with charred grilled pork and crunchy imperial rolls, tossed with lettuce, bean sprouts, fried onions, peanuts, mint, pickled radish salad and the perfect salty-sweet-sour fish sauce, washed down with a glass of cafe sua da, rich and creamy from the condensed milk. But is that any more "perfect" than a meal made up of perfect bites of buttery raw fish on top of warm vinegared rice, especially as executed at Sushi Sasabune in Oahu? But then there's that perfect meal I had at La Folie which included an amuse bouche of poached egg in its own shell swimming in browned butter and sea salt, foie gras mousse so light and airy it disappeared as soon as I put it in my mouth, perfectly poached lobster tail, and seared foie gras. Oh yes, that was perfect. But then there's my grandmother's hwedupbab - tiny cubes of choice raw fish mixed with julienned strips of lettuce, cabbage, perilla leaves, garlic slivers and tossed with hot white rice and red pepper paste. Oh yes, that was perfect meal. Oh but how about pumpkin chicken curry on jasmine rice, washed down with Thai iced tea? And I can't leave out a plate of Giovanni's buttery garlicky shrimp over rice, bought out of the side of a truck in the middle of nowhere in Oahu. Oh and let's not forget every meal I've had at Cuines Santa Caterina in Barcelona.

Point is, there is no one perfect meal, so I think a search for the absolute perfect meal would be a futile endeavor. Instead, I'm in search of my next perfect meal.

And where better to start than Tokyo, home of the most Michelin stars in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment